Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 3,085
Digest more
Top News
Impacts
Associated Press News |
The death toll from the earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago rose Thursday to 3,145 as search and rescue teams found more bodies, the military-led government said, and humanitarian aid group...
Reuters |
The death toll from Myanmar's devastating earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more missing, as forecasts of unseasonal rain presented a new challenge for rescue and aid workers trying to re...
Read more on News Digest
A 7.7 magnitude earthquake rattled much of Southeast Asia on Friday, flattening skyscrapers and leaving more than 1,000 people dead from Myanmar to Thailand.
As of Thursday, the death toll across the country from the earthquake has risen to 3,145, with 4,589 others injured and 221 missing, Xinhua news agency reported, quoting the Myanmar Radio and Television.
It sent buildings in many areas toppling to the ground, buckled roads, caused bridges to collapse and burst a dam.
Myanmar, also known as Burma, is in the throes of a prolonged and bloody civil war, which is already responsible for a massive humanitarian crisis.
The confirmed death toll from last week’s massive earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 3,354, as U.N. agencies and foreign aid donors continued to ramp up their emergency relief efforts.
The head of Myanmar’s military government, Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, told a forum for relief donations in Naypyitaw that 2,719 people have now been found dead, with 4,521 others injured and 441 missing, Myanmar’s state MRTV television reported.
The 7.7 magnitude quake hit Friday, with the epicenter near Myanmar’s second-largest city of Mandalay. It damaged the city’s airport, buckled roads and collapsed hundreds of buildings along a wide swath down the country’s center.
The magnitude 7.7 quake Friday rocked an impoverished Southeast Asian nation already beleaguered by years of civil war.