Myanmar earthquake death toll climbs above 3,330
Digest more
Top News
Impacts
CNN |
The miraculous rescues of the two men offer rare moments of hope in the Southeast Asian country, where the ruling military government has announced a temporary ceasefire in operations against armed o...
Newsday |
The American government dwarfs other nations' rescue capacity in experience, capacity and heavy machinery able to pull people alive from rubble.
Read more on News Digest
The death toll from a massive earthquake in Myanmar has climbed to 3,471, as search and rescue teams continue to find more bodies, state media reported Sunday. The magnitude 7.7 quake that struck on March 28 also injured 4,671 victims and left 214 missing as of Saturday.
The death toll of the Southeast Asia earthquake has climbed to more than 3,100 people. In Myanmar, rescue teams are searching the rubble for any signs of the more than 200 people still missing. As recovery efforts continue, a group here in the Twin Cities is doing all it can to help those overseas.
A U.S. team has yet to arrive in Myanmar after last week’s 7.7-magnitude earthquake, while China has already rescued six people and committed $14 million in humanitarian aid.
A 5.1-magnitude aftershock hit near Mandalay on Sunday, following the 7.7 quake on Friday that has killed more than 1,600 people.
Extreme heat and heavy rain in Myanmar could cause disease outbreaks among earthquake survivors camping in the open, global aid bodies warned on Thursday.
Three U.S. aid workers were laid off while in Myanmar helping the rescue and recovery from the country's massive earthquake, a former senior staffer said, as the Trump administration's dismantling of foreign aid affects its disaster response.
The Special Search and Rescue Team of Malaysia (Smart) to assist earthquake victims in Myanmar will end its operations and return home on Monday. Foreign Minister Mohamad Hasan said that apart from the search and rescue (SAR) operation by Smart having ended, it needs to be stopped because no more survivors have been found trapped under rubble.
The China International Search and Rescue Team continued to conduct medical outreach on Saturday in the urban area of Mandalay region, Myanmar. Through disease screening, consultations, medication guidance,